Rev. Gorman Houston
The First United Methodist Church was founded in 1843. Daniel Pratt provided and equipped a room above a store for these first meetings and later donated land and money for a larger and more elaborate church building. On Easter Sunday, 1913, the first service was held at the present location at Chestnut and Fourth Streets. Additions and renovations have taken place in 1958, 1964, and 1988. A major building program will soon be underway; this reinforces the manner of Daniel Pratt when he realized that a man's spiritual nature demands a place where needs can be met and souls can be nurtured.